Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program participants:
- Tropica Bar & Seafood House,
Met Life Bldg. 200 Park Ave. (At Lexington & Park)
A fantastic, tropical oasis specializing in island-inspired fish and seafood dishes. Large selection of GF dishes in a beautiful Caribbean atmosphere. Ask for their special Gluten-Free menu.
- Sambuca, 20 West 72nd St. @ Central Park West 212-787-5656
Southern Italian food, family style. Super friendly staff.
Offers a gluten-free/wheat-free menu, including delicious salads, appetizers,
15 different pasta preparations, a variety of chicken, veal steak, seafood
and vegetable dishes, homemade bread and chocolate brownies.
- Asia de Cuba, 237 Madison Avenue @ 37th ST. (212) 726-7755
Unique sharing menu featuring innovative fusion of Asian and Latin cuisine. Ask for the special Gluten Free menu.
- Risotteria 270 Bleecker St. (near 7th Ave.) 212-924-6664
Small Greenwich Village restaurant serving made-to-order risotto and fresh salads according to authentic recipes from traditional Italian cuisine. Risotteria uses 3 different kinds of rice -- Baldo, Carnaroli, and Vialone Nano -- and these can be combined with pesto and mozzarella, spinach and roasted red peppers, shrimp and garlic, just to name a few. Plus, GF BEER! The choices are unlimited. Ask for the gluten-free menu. All of the menus are annotated for GF selections
- Candle 79. 154 East 79th Street. NYC. 212-537-7179
Candle Cafe Vegetarian Cuisine
Cuisine: Global ethnic cuisine Lunch: $10.00 -- 18.00 Dinner: $14.00 -- 20.00 Warm, elegant, upscale vegan venue. Serving organic seasonal delicious and beautifully presented dishes, Candle 79 offers many options for gluten free guests. Please ask for the special "gluten-free" menu!
- Bistango. 415 3rd Avenue (@ 29th St & 3rd Ave) NYC. 212-725-8484
Appetizers: $5.50 -- 11.95 Salads: $5.95 -- 8.50 Entrees (chicken/veal/seafood): $12.95 -- 14.95 Bistango is highly recommended for its great food, wonderful ambience, friendly staff and great value. Bistango is an Italian restaurant that offers a variety of appetizers, salads, chicken dishes and seafood (and dessert!) that can all be prepared gluten free. The manager, Anthony, greets everyone and he is very supportive of cooking to any dietary needs. Bistango is very reasonably priced and provides a wonderful dining experience. Please ask for their annotated GF menu.
- Bloom's Delicatessen Cafe. 350 Lexington Avenue (corner of 40th Street) NYC. 212-922-FOOD (3663)
Bloom's New York Deli
Cuisine: Everything - Diner Style Menu w/ Omelettes, Hamburgers, GF French Fries, & Salads Breakfast/Lunch: $4.00 -- 10.00 Dinner: $7.00 -- 20.00 Side Orders: $2.00 -- 5.00
- Peters' Gourmet Diner/Restaurant.1606 1st Avenue (btwn. 83rd & 84th Streets) NYC. 212-734-9600
Cuisine: American, Comfort, Brunch Lunch: $6.00 -- 12.00 Dinner: $12.00 -- 20.00 Gourmet diner. Their menu is crafted to please customers with low-fat, low-calorie and gluten-free requirements. Customers will enjoy gluten free specialties like pancakes and waffles for breakfast, a large selection of sandwiches and salads for lunch, and a complete dinner menu that includes burgers from beef, salmon, turkey and ostrich. The sandwiches and burgers are available on gluten-free bread. There is also outside dining in warmer weather.
- Coast. 110 Liberty St. New York. 212-962-0136
Coast is an NYC fish house and gourmet market serving fresh grilled seafood and American comfort foods, and a Raw Bar. A large portion of the menu is GF, from the clam chowder to the fresh grilled market fish. Save room for the creamy cheese cake!
- Lumi Restaurant. 963 Lexington Avenue (at 70th Street) NYC 212-570-2335
Cuisine: Upscale Italian Upper East Side Italian restaurant in a charming, romantic two-story townhouse. Outdoor sidewalk dining from May - September. The second floor is an elegant room with a fireplace and can accommodate up to 40 guests for a private party.
- Caffee Baldo (Italian and Gluten Free) 2849 Jerusalem Ave, Wantaugh 516-785-4780
Warm Italian family restaurant featuring gluten-free pizza, garlic knots, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, and pastas. Gluten-free versions of other menu items are also available. The management of Caffe Baldo has long-standing experience dealing with the gluten-free diet. Excellent!
- Mama's Italian Restaurant. 1352 Montauk Highway. Oakdale, New York 631-567-0909 Cuisine: Family Italian Entrees: $12.95 -- 21.95 Pastas: $11.50 -- 15.95 Mama's offers a full GF menu including appetizers, soups, entrees, pasta dishes, and desserts.
- Yazoo City. 143 N. Wellwood Ave. Lindenhurst, New York. 631-226-1100. "Real American Food." Yazoo City pays homage to the best of the great authentic American recipes. All food, from the stocks for the soups and sauces, to the crusts for our pies are made fresh, in house. Look for special "GF" marking on the ever-changing menu!
The following RESTAURANTS and BAKERIES are NOT part of the GFRA, but have
been known to have items appropriate for the GF diet:
- PUFF & PAO - All natural specialty bakery and coffee bar. 105 Christopher Street (near 7th Ave) 212-633-PUFF.
This quaint coffee bar has friendly service and a number of Gluten Free goodies including Parisian Macaroons made with almond flour, an assortment of gluten free brownies, and 2 flavors of Brazilian cheese breads (Paolitos). Yummy! www.puffandpao.com
- BabyCakesNYC - Babycakes are free of wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, nuts and refined sugar. 248 Broome Street New York, NY 10002 (212)677-5047. Subway: F, J, M, Z at Delancey
and the B, D at Grand Street
- Brio Ristorante. 786 Lexington Avenue @ 61st (212) 980-2300
New creations made with gluten free, wheat free Scotti Rice Pasta all'Italiana.
- SLICE - Vegan and Gluten free pizza! 1413 2nd Ave. (bt'wn 73rd & 74th St.) NYC 212.249.4353
- Bonobos. 18 E. 23rd Street at Madison Ave., NYC. 212-505-1200. Bonobo's is a gluten and grain-free casual Natural Foods restaurant. All food is served in the most healthful delicious and nutritious manner with live enzymes intact as Mother Nature intended. Great salads, cabbage wraps, smoothies, and desserts!
Gluten Free Bakery, 194 South 8th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11211
- Josie's Restaurant and Juice Bar
300 Amsterdam Ave. at 74th St.
- Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro
2 Park Ave., cross street 32nd St. 10016
- Brazil Grill
787 8th Ave. 10019
AND Brazil Grill
102 MacDougal St. 10012
Chutney Company - 68 Prince (between Crosby & Lafayette)
- 401 6th Ave between Waverly Place & W 8 St.,
International vegetarian restaurant
of Dreams - 405 E 6th St (between 1st & Ave A),
Vegan and raw food & live music
Food & Wine,
Entire menu is GF! Moderate to expensive - and well worth it.,
54 Irving Place between 17th and 18th Sts.
Bridge, Lo-Carb Dietary Center, 131 Jericho Turnpike, Mineola, NY
11501, (516) 746-1166
Dessert Boutique, 941 Manor Road, Staten Island, NY (718) 477-1414.
Wide variety of GF pastries, bread & pizza dough.
Chow - Hip and Vegan, 227 Sullivan St. (212) 337-0863. Fabulous
GF brownies, cookies, and energy bars.
- Best organic restaraunt in the city! (house dressing is GF) 300
E. 12th St. (bet 2nd & 3rd Ave) 212-228-2909
DINER (pricey but very good) on 57th St just west of 7th Ave.
SHOP on Union Sq. W. & 16th St. They have Brazilian Cheese Bread,
which is made with tapioca flour.
FOOD SHOP (Mexican dinner, fun atmosphere) 216 8th Ave @ 21 St
PLATFORMA (Brazilian BBQ) (57th St/btwn 8 and 9th Ave) all you can
eat flat rate. Pricey but worth it!!!
- whole fish - 141 E 48 St
98 Ave B (steaks) French bistro 358-1166
- filet mignon - (1st and 1st )
FOODS - 12th (betw B'way & Univ)
OF BOMBAY (Indian) 326 E 6th St. GF menu
- 307-6419 ? filet mignon - 736 10th Ave (50 & 51)
DINER - 52 & 7th - burger or Philly steak sandwich w/out bread
STREET NATURAL Spring and Lafayette
- (Nolita) grilled fish, etc. Everything roasted on open flame. 194
Eizabeth St (Prince & Spring) 212-965-9511
BAR - 42nd St and Vanderbuilt (GRAND CTRAL TERMINAL) 212-490-6650
TABLEAU - 5th betw A & B - steak au pauvre
QUIXOTE - 23rd & 7th - steak / lobster
DELHI INDIAN - tell waiter GF - 120 Lex near 28th - 212-725-3215
VILLAGE THAI REST (GF thai curry ? request "Marys fish sauce") 32
E 7th St (betw 2 & 3rd)
DINER - W 57th St (W of Bway) hamburger and steam veg
(Bleeker bet 6th & 7th)
DELI (brisket and turkey have no added sugars or vinegar) Houston
betw 1st and 2nd Ave
- 13th (Univ. & 5th) - (good organic) broiled fish and veg. Great
kale /squash. Ask for no sauces. Also sushi.
Elizabeth betw Houston & Prince -roast chicken: $15. Side order
of veggies -huge
seafood ($18-20) / live lobster/oysters - 8th & 20th. (lots of
DISH - Diner - nice, dark atmosphere, cheap burgers (8th and 20th
Vasco - Spanish - lobster fresh daily - 159 W 23 (6th & 7th)
MARKETS and HEALTH FOOD STORES in MANHATTAN & LONG ISLAND:
FOODS on 7th Ave and 24th St. and also Columbus Circle. Excellent
produce. Lots of GF products. "Foods by George" Gluten
free products are in the
fresh bread section.
HEALTH FOODS 911- 913 Eighth Ave. @ 54th St.
Organic market - 1st Ave betw 10th and 11th St.
- small organic market - good produce - 125 1st Ave (6th & 7th)
Pleasures - organic supermarket w/ meat/fish, vitamins - 10th & University.
- B Well Naturally
100% organic and many GF food items. Homemade GF sandwiches!! And Pizza! And
8 Washington Ave, Plainview, NY (north of Old Country Road)
- Health Bridge, Lo-Carb Dietary Center
Large selection and variety of GF foods!
131 Jericho Turnpike, Mineola, NY
Get Healthy America!
Lots and lots of GF products!
148 Magneto Hill Rd. Plainview, NY
- Get Healthy America!
2760 Sunrise Hwy. Bellmore, NY